Wednesday, June 26

June Is Almost Over

Need to file my insurance papers. They're in one pile of mess right now. Tabulated my credit card bills too, I've definitely been overspending. That said, I don't spend more than what I cannot afford to pay off. I am against spending money you don't have and going into debt for it. That's not responsible.

I'm still receiving birthday presents up till today. June's almost over! Not that I'm complaining. Keep em' coming! I feel like bubble tea, but I've got no more calories to spare.

There's this one story, that I have not told anyone before I am pretty sure, but today, oddly enough, I suddenly thought about it.

Many years ago (when I was much younger) and was still part of the national squad, I had gone down to Singapore for a Laser Radial event. I don't remember which yacht club this was, and many others details have long been forgotten too. But what I do remember is that it was my first overseas event having swapped boats from the 420 to the Laser. And I wasn't expected to actually perform because I was supposed to go back to training on the double handed dinghy once I found a new partner, which never actually did happen. Anyway.

So there I was in Singapore, and I remember when I was prepping my boat on the first day, I didn't feel any nerves, unlike most times. And when I launched to go racing, I don't remembering worrying about not doing well, or not winning. I just went out, and sailed. To my (and my coach's) utter surprise, I came back from racing that day leading the scoreboard. It was a Saturday I still remember if I am not wrong. NOBODY, not even I, saw it coming. I actually sailed well that day, caught all the shifts right, sailed the course well, and was winning races. Even the Singaporean coach came to me to ask how I did it during dinner, but I didn't have an answer.

So there I was, I remember thinking to myself, and even asking God at that point, if "This was it?" Was this my breakthrough moment - where in my many years of sailing career, that I'd actually start winning.

So the next day, I went back into the race course, and lost. So. Badly. It was epic. I remember crying, sobbing and crying, as I was sailing back to the club at the end of the day. Sad and disheartened that my wins the day before were just in the event of me being lucky. A fluke. I remember my then teammate telling me, "Sebab you jadi sombong pasal tu lah tak menang" akin to "because you became prideful (after the first day) and that's why you didn't win". Maybe.

There was no other explanation for it. How does one sail so well one day and completely flop the next day? And sad to say, I never did have another outstanding performance like that one day. When I tell people that I am not great at the sport I do, no one really believes me. Sailors who've competed with me would know though, that I was never really particularly good at it. But no one really says anything. Ohwell. And I don't get sore about it anymore either, it's a fact I've accepted a long time ago. You don't have to be the best at something to still enjoy doing it.

I hadn't thought about this one regatta and it never ping-ed as a significant event in my life which explains why I never mentioned about it. Strange that I just randomly thought about it today, can't explain what triggered the memory nor identify the significance of it,  but still I thought I'd share about it. =)

Sorry for the unnecessarily long blast to the past. I hope it kept you entertained for what it's worth. Back to present day.

Today somewhat also marked the end of something, somewhat at least. I think. In a good way nonetheless.

To end, 10 Tips For Flirting When You Don't Feel So Confident. I personally like tip number 10 the most:

Flirting is sort of like a competition, a survival of the fittest. If you don't act fast you'll be starving, and crushless!

No comments: