Sunday, December 28

2014 Resolutions - Summary

On a completely random note, perhaps it is my cue to start drinking my coffee black, because twice now in a row, the fresh milk I bought had gone bad in under 5 days. 

That aside. Here's the summary to my previously updated 2014 resolution, currently working on my 2015 list.

1. Shopping ban. I am putting a ban on buying new clothing for the entire 2014 - no new shoes, new tops, new jeans, no new earrings / rings / necklaces etc, unless the situation deem it completely necessary. Gifts for others are a different story.

So from my previous update, I ended up shopping a fair bit in Taiwan and when I was in Korea. To be fair, my purchases in Korea was to again save my ass from being frozen. No excuses for my Taiwan purchases though. My top brand award this year, without a doubt, goes to Uniqlo. If only they'd sponsor my wardrobe..

2. To travel to 2 new places that I've not been to before. Calling all travel buddies!

Checked! Philippines in March for sailing, Japan in April for holiday, Koh Samui in May for sailing.. And building on that list, I also traveled to Singapore, Bali, Taiwan (which was a first) and Korea + Busan.

3. To be vegetarian and/or pescetarian the first week (7 days) of each month. This is mainly to lead a healthier lifestyle. This means I'll be meat-free for my birthday this year too, party planners please take note!

I was doing pretty well on this until I left my job and started traveling. I believe I stopped following this 'rule' from September onwards.

4. Read more. And Dramabeans don't count.

I've finished in total about 9 books this year! David and Goliath, The Social Animal, Three Cups of Tea, Blink, Tipping Point, Outliers, Where We Belong, Picture Perfect and Looking for Alaska..

5. Be more watchful of my expenses. To jot down as best as I can all my expenditure daily.

I didn't even do this for a day. But I feel I am a pretty responsible spender, I don't spend more than I can afford. And that also means that I don't spend every last cent of my earnings. Though the year-end travelling (without an income) did set me back quite substantially.

6. Work towards a promotion at work, or in other words, be open to any career advancement opportunities, and be proactive while at it.

So I've left my previous employment and I will be starting a new role in the coming year of which I am partly excited and partly anxious. We'll see!

7. To spend at least half an hour each day to do quiet time. If due to unforeseen circumstance I happen to skip a day, it shall be replaced within the same week.

I resorted to getting myself a daily bible and I try my best to read the allotted daily portion before I sleep each day. However, there are days where I end up wasting my entire waking hours doing inconsequential stuff and come night time, I give myself the excuse that I'm too tired to read. Not proud of myself at all.

8. To get a full medical check up.

Done. 

9. To learn a new language, or a new skill. And in general to be open to new adventures and ideas.

So I tried surfing in Bali which was a first. I also finally did my basic rock climbing course at Camp5 which means I can basically go there on my own now. I also traveled solo for the first time this year. I also spontaneously sailed with a group of people which turned out to be pretty valuable experience altogether.

10. To be kind, patient, forgiving and thankful. Always!

If I had to pick one thing to reflect upon in 2014, it would be the fact that I am completely capable (depending on whether I want to or not) of playing the kind, patient and forgiving self when it comes to strangers and friends but not so when it comes to family. I suppose the problem lies with me, after all, if I am capable of being nice to a perfect stranger, why can't I be nicer to family? But I suspect that this has a lot to do with how things are at home too, and family can be the most difficult people to deal with sometimes because they are family. I don't know what I can do to better myself at being a better daughter to my parents, a better sister to my siblings, a better granddaughter to my grandparents, and a better niece so on and so forth, but I suppose that's what people mean by, life is a learning process. You just keep trying your damnedest.


Signing out on my 2014 resolutions in advance! 

No comments: