Wednesday, May 16

The Dispatch Uncle

This is a secret, rather was a secret now that I am sharing it with all you guys.

Today, I learnt that my dispatch uncle collects stamps. Either that or he's got someone he loves dearly who collects them.

My dispatch uncle at the office is an elderly man. He's one of the few people whom for some strange reason, I look forward to saying Hi! to everyday. He wears a cap all the time, he's quiet mostly, a man of few words. He carries his messenger bag with all our documents for internal dispatch everywhere he goes.

When he's happy, he'll announce our names if there are items for us in his messenger bag. Other times, he just moves around quietly, inconspicuously.

He probably is the only person who really knows who is in which department and where is every department located without referring to the staff directory.

My dispatch uncle reminds me of contentment. Being happy with life. Delivering what people need - happiness. It's funny how he reminds me of a certain warm fuzzy feeling that generates in the pit of ones stomach and then circulates around the whole body.

Today, I also noticed that my dispatch uncle's eyes were bloodshot red, when he very excitedly asked if I wanted the stamp which was on an envelope I received. I very happily gave it to him, but part of me grew worried...

Was he ill? Was he not feeling well? But I didn't ask. I felt it wasn't my place to ask.

He thanked me profusely for the stamp, which to me was nothing major. But it must have made him really happy. And that warm fuzzy feeling just came upon me again.

I told myself, if there's something, anything I can do regardless of how small or how big, so long as it puts a smile on someone else's face, so long it brightens someone else's day, I would do it.

Thank you Uncle, for teaching me that. =)

3 comments:

Mandy said...

It's a lovely post dear. It has been so long since I last read something inspiring like this. Thanks for sharing :)

Ai said...

Thanks for reading! =)

Jo Ong said...

From your sharing I truly believe there's always contentment, and when someone radiates appreciation over the smallest of things, it makes us grow, acknowledging that life is in itself simple. Love you.