Friday, April 17

They Say, You Fake It Until You Make It

I've always taken that advice with a pinch of salt. I believe it when it comes to, "Even if you are having a bad day, just keep smiling, and your brains will conspire with all the Earth to make you feel happier". I don't believe it when it comes to things like, "You dislike eating papayas but you eat them anyway until one day, you'll love papayas."

You get what I mean right?

Are You Mentally Strong or Just Acting Tough? I glimpsed through this article late last night after my climbing session, and it made me re-think how I approach the above all together.


  1. Tough people believe failure is never an option. 
  2. Self-portrayals of toughness mask insecurities. 
  3. Tough people say, “I can do anything.” 
  4. Acting tough involves pride. 
  5. Tough people suppress emotions. 
  6. Tough people thrive on power. 
  7. Acting tough is about tolerating pain. 
Please go read the full article by Psychology Today for better understanding.

A good friend of mine was telling me how it's funny that I, the Psychology graduate keeps reading these things when I should already know all of it. Which is a true statement on all counts. But I guess it's one of those things where, knowing it and actually knowing it, are two completely different things.

A couple of people have been asking me, "What is it that has gotten to me that I am so gungho about working out suddenly?" And my responses have been constant, "I want to be become stronger" or "I want to become a fitter version of myself, no excuses no more".

It just occurred to me that what I am doing, is acting tough (albeit through real action and working my body to its core) in hopes that I will eventually become mentally stronger.

And in between all that, cracks appear and in as much as it frustrates me, my tough exterior breaks down to show signs of mental weakness.

So, you don't fake it until you make it. You just make it.

The thing about sailing is that the community is so small that once there's an event, 50% of your friends will be there. And it sucks to not be there with them all. But if that's a decision I made, I just got to suck it up and like their posts on social media without feeling like I'm being left out. Ha!

I'm training my mental strength! x

2 comments:

JKBTS Webmaster said...

Be strong... but don't hit me... :)

Ai said...

Being strong has nothing to do with violence! :)