Monday, December 29

Question:

*before u begin, you might wanna consider getting yourself some popcorn and coke. For those of you who are lazy, I, as the host of Typically Malaysian, have kindly prepared them for you. Now, enjoy...


Is a friend whom you do not like still a friend?

You see, what I mean is this.

Say, you have got this friend, whom we shall name X in this case. Let's say you've known X for the longest time in your life, you've done so many things together, so much so you're both almost like siblings, sharing toothpaste and clothes and what not.

But throughout all this while, you've secretly disliked X. Not because of something horrible that he / she has done, but simple because, you just don't really like that person. But then again, because that so called 'friendship' doesn't affect you negatively in any way, you've just continued 'being friends'.

Now, I am being a hypocrite...

You are aware and u know that you don't like X person per say, but still, you're still friends. So what happens now if other people start making comments. For instance, come one day, Y - who's another friend of yours, comes telling you that X is a [insert a bad / rude adjective] person. And deep down, you agree!

But Y knows that you're kononnya, a good friend of X. So now how??

Do you defend X and say that X is not that bad a person when deep down inside, you feel the same Y does about X.

Or,

Do you agree with Y and start back stabbing X in the back, and somehow, still remains friends with X.

Which would you do?

Also then, let's say you picked the second option, to back stab your 'fellow friend'. Now the scenario is this, X is now back and wants to buddy buddy with u again, but you're reluctant to do so because you are clearly aware that you do not like X and plus, now other people- Y also knows that you do not like X.

Now what?!

Hmm. I don't know lah really. I sometimes think that people shouldn't fake things and be honest, but in this case, what if honesty isn't the best policy?!

On a totally different note. I do envy people with super high self esteem and who are super confident and are so assured of themselves. These people make me feel small and helpless.

When I come across people like the above, I sometimes wonder, what life might be like for them. You know what I mean?

These people must living each and everyday of their lives thinking about good things to better themselves and so on and so forth while I, live everyday thinking about other mundane stuff like, what color should I color my nails with.

Just a random example lah. Didn't mean for it to sound so dumb blondish.

Anyhow, I do wanna become a better person too. A new year resolution. I think I am gonna start with being a better grand daughter, a better daughter, a better sister and a better friend. Do you think that'll make me a better person in a whole? I sure hope so.

:) Thinking to self : A better friend... Hmmm, means u all untung lah??!! :)


Anyhow, I was also going to ask this, What type of person are you??

Are you the type who will, treat the receptionist terribly simply because he /she was not helpful when you had asked them about something, or

Would you tell yourself, "I won't let them get the better out of me, too bad if they're rude or are born evil, I will be gracious and say my thank you's and still do my very best to be nice to them".

Are you the type of person who goes grocery shopping and pick whatever you like off the shelf without checking the price and without thinking whether you really need it, or

Are you the type who will calculate every single item and see which is the better offer and then only decide if you really need it.

I've got a lot more of "what would you do", " what if's", and "which are you" questions. But haha, I think this is enough for the day.

Oh yeah, also wanted to add that my hope of finally being able to travel alone was just shattered yesterday. Sighs. Contrary to what might seem like the case, I have not actually traveled to any place alone. It was always either with the parents, or with Heng, or with a manager, or with friends, or with team members.

The closest I've ever got to traveling alone was probably the trip to New Zealand in Jan this year. But still ended up traveling with Seu also.

And so I was so looking forward to flying to Langkawi this time, alone! What, Langkawi also traveling alone lah okay, I very poor, can only ill afford a trip to Langkawi at the moment. But wait and you shall see lah. Next time it won't just be Langkawi... it'll be.... Phuket. Hhhahaha, Japan / UK / China all those will have to wait till I start earning my own money lah, then we'll talk.

So anyway, coming back to travelling alone. So yeah lor, basically, won't be traveling alone again. A fellow friend will be tagging along. Oh well, it just means that I won't have to worry about missing my 9 o'clock flight on the Sunday morning.

Hope you enjoyed your imaginary popcorn and coke.

OH WAITTTTT
*screams*

The most important question of all... WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING ON NEW YEARS EVE??

One last question, a-not-so-important one. Hmmmm... How do you tackle the growth of baby hair??!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for your coke and popcorn =)

Well, I will smile at Y and remain to be not so close friend with X backstabbing is scary... so yea :)

sometimes we will live a life thinking about things to better ourselves, sometimes we will live a life like you said, what color should I put on my nails today.. as for me,I will spend much time thinking about the dress I should put on for the day, what hairstyle should I have (now no longer need to) etc.

a little of these and that will eventually make us a better person... we don't need to wake up every morning, look into the mirror, and say "I must be perfect today" "don't ever step on ants, lizards etc" that will kill us!!!

now back to Q & A session:

1) I will not treat the receptionist badly lar... will only show faces :P

2) As for grocery shopping, if it's something I like I won't check... I will check if it's something I need, something my dearest need, and when I this close to "I am so broke"

3) I won't calculate every parts and parcel... till today many still owe me money because of that...

4) I am free on New Year Eve!!! I have class only in the AM =D

5) that baby hair thinge... I can't help

We must travel alone at least once in our life... before marriage definitely!!! the day will come... you are still young dear =D

p/s: Mandy too bored de

kaven said...

herm,if you take a step backward and try to understand that friend in his/her perspective,then what would u think about him/her again?

If you and ur fren are really not on the same track,then maybe it would be better to head on different way.
道不同不相为谋~

travel alone eh?the furthest distance i traveled alone before was butterworth to melaka,bus trip.

Ai said...

mandy,

you are welcomed! :)

and thank you for the encouragement! it means a lot to me, just so you know.

come find me after class!! i got my full license already! wooooot!!

kaven,

i've tried that, but i guess i'm not too good in understanding ppl so the more i try the more i dunno what to think. :|

thanks though, for the advice, very much appreciated!

** I MUST TRAVEL ALONE THE NEXT ROUND! hahhhahaha.

Anonymous said...

live life simply, dont need to think and worry about everything, just about the things that matters, dont look at people's flaws, but to look at their strengths, that's how we can appreciate people, and never backstab, it will always bite us back in the ass.

Ai said...

yes! ok! will keep that in mind.