Monday, November 25

My Baptism Speech | Testimony

Early this year (or rather at the end of last year), I sat down and reviewed the list of things I've accomplished in 2012 and started working on my 2013 resolutions. And the thing about resolutions is that more often than not, people don't follow through, the same goes for me. But I sat long and hard and came up with 10 things I definitely wanted to achieve, and item 6 on that list reads:

I've always felt "insecure" and inferior when it comes to matters about religion and that is mostly because I feel inadequate. Also, overly warm people scare me to death. 2013 will be a year in which I shall not be afraid of overly warm people, but I will do what I have to do.

So mainly the reason why I am here today is to fulfill my resolution, but that's not to say that it is the only reason. I grew up with this church, I attended Sunday School, kid's church and then due to conflicting schedules as I grew up, I grew apart too as a result. And while I always wanted to come back, I also always found a reason not to. You're not good enough, you don't know the Bible from head to toe, you don't memorize verses, you don't know 70% of the songs sang in church... And then it occurred to me that, no one is judging me, even with me as I am, Jesus Christ had died for me. He does not love my less because I take longer to flip through to Acts in the Bible during sermon, He loves me all the same. So what is stopping me?

And so, when the announcement about baptism class was made, I felt something thug at my heart. I was still unsure, there were a lot of what if's, but I went ahead anyway. I didn't know what to expect but now that I am here, I am actually surprised at how easy it was - no exam, no test on bible knowledge, no intensive 6 month crash course. Just a willing heart, and a clear mind.

That said, being baptized seems easy, but I know and we know that the difficult part is in living in His grace, everyday of my life from this moment on. I thank my family, my friends, the church elders and everyone who has helped me be here today, and I pray that you will continue to encourage me on this journey.

For those of you who missed it. x