Tuesday, December 9

10 Things About Sailors

Disclaimer: Obviously, these are my own opinions and are in no way representative of the entire sailing population. And obviously these are based on my own observation, so it's representative of the people I have sailed with.

1. Sailors are dirty people (while we're out at sea).

Dirty in the hygiene sense, or at least that's the case I am making here. We can wear the same pair of socks, same shirt and same shorts for days on end, with a brief rinse in between each wear. We sleep on the same spots where we've just stomped all over while racing. When lunch in served in between races, we don't look for hand soap, we just eat.

2. Sailors are mostly trusting, and I would even say naive to some extend.

When you hop onto a boat, you are trusting your equipment, your crew members and of course, trusting God to keep you safe. Anything can go wrong in fact. But for the most of it, we just go ahead anyway, trusting and believing that we'll find a way.

3. Sailors drink.

Some more than others. That's why the term drunken sailors is so common. I fall into the "drink very little" category. And to be honest, I am not a fan of those who drink and get drunk and talk incoherently and get all wild, which explains why I sometimes am a party pooper. I am a happy drunk myself though, so on all counts, I am for moderate drinking.

4. Sailors are capable of thinking outside the box.

We once used a pair of screwdriver to slice our quiche because there was no other (better) alternatives onboard (also point number 1). Though this is not the best example to illustrate point 4. Well, if something was to happen out at sea, you have got to do what you have got to do, and quick. This is not my strong suit, but sailing has definitely helped me to become better at it.

5. Sailors make good friends, at least those you can actually get along with.

I've always said that if you sail with a bunch of people and at the end of the day you still want to sit next to them at dinner, they're friends for keeps, or in other words, family.

6. Not all sailors you encounter are going to be your friend.

While point number five says that sailors make good friends, not all of them are going to be your cup of tea. There will be personalities that you can't and won't get along with - sailors will lasts long enough to complete a race, that much respect they'll show to one another. However, at the end of the day if you're not in my buddy list, then you're not. I've had to learn this the hard way, primarily due to the fact that I need want to liked, but if I don't like you, I cannot expect you to like me too. Simply put.

7. Sailors don't care so much for hierarchy.

I've sailed with many people who are much older than I am, much more successful, much more financially stable, much higher power, and with reputable careers - and yet, on the boat we're all equals. Yeah sure, they'll get the tiny one to run water errands and pick food for the crew, but there's no such thing as "I am the CEO of xyz so you go get water for me."

And being a girl doesn't mean you'll be relegated to kitchen duty (or whatever else), but as always, respect is earned, not warranted, so earn that respect, then talk.

8. Sailors are strong and independent individuals.

This statement is pretty self explanatory I guess. Goes without saying.

9. Sailors are resilient.

Perhaps out of desperation sometimes, but when you have to survive, you'll adapt. That's my motto. And thus, come what may, trust us to find a way.

10. (Most) Sailors are great people. Really.

No comments: